Thursday, May 1, 2008

Poor Birdie

We found a dead finch in our yard this evening. The boys were very curious about it so we discussed reasons why it may have died i.e. old age, illness, or an accident (think flying into a window). They were very concerned but not frightened nor upset by the experience. Eric wanted to touch and feel the bird. Jonathan was concerned about its disposal. Jay decided we would bury it by the pond. Jonathan carried the bird down to the pond on a dust pan and Jay dug the hole. Very gently Jonathan placed the bird in the hole and then Jay covered the bird with dirt. While walking away from the burial site Eric asked me if the bird was sad. I told him the bird was not sad any more. In a voice of wisdom Eric replied that the bird wasn't happy either. How does a three-year old understand death? It was pretty funny.

P.S. Later on, Jay and Jonathan put a marker on the grave that said R.I.P. Jonathan added his own name to the stick. Although I haven't seen the marker, I believe it now says R.I.P. Jonathan. Hmmmm, that doesn't sound quite right. Jay explained to me that because Jonathan found the bird and took care of burying it and because he was sad, he wanted his name on the stick. A child's logic explained. I feel better.

No comments: