Thursday, August 2, 2007

Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis

I usually don't watch the news especially at supper time but it appeared there was going to be a storm and I wanted to check out the weather forecast. Turned on the evening news a little before six to check out the weather. Left the room and came back a couple of minutes later and found out that the Hwy 35W bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed. Talk about feeling utter shock and disbelief! We used to drive that bridge daily and only recently stopped going that way since we moved to Coon Rapids. So freaky. Friends of ours said they drove four times back and forth on that bridge yesterday.

I didn't sleep well last night at all. I guess it affected me more than I thought. It's just terrible. I feel so small. There are so many things we take for granted every minute of every day. Fortunately, I don't know anyone who was injured. All my friends and family are safe. There were miracles in this tragedy too. A bus load of children fell 50 feet but landed on all its tires. No one was seriously hurt from the bus. But there are still many families suffering today because they don't know where their family members are. Please pray for those persons and their loved ones. The river recovery effort has been thwarted because of the river currents and the debris in the river. Please pray for the recovery workers and crews.

Tragedies happen around our world all the time. When it hits so close to home, it's so much more personal and real.

3 comments:

Matthews said...

Very saddened by it all and a reminder that life can be forever changed in an instant.

lisa said...

We are so glad to hear you are all ok. Darin and I saw it on the news late last night and immediately thought of all the relatives in Minn. Our prayers are definately with everyone involved but are completely grateful you are all ok.

Lana and the Fam said...

Yes, that is the thing. Life can change "like that!" So fast. No control over it really. I'm working downtown today and kind of want to go view it from the 3rd Ave bridge. But maybe it's best to wait yet. It might make things that much more real...can't cry at work. :)